The PILATES theme of the week is 10 TIPS TO PREVENT BACK PAIN:
1. Strengthen your core muscles daily – use one of the videos on the PILATES page of our website:
2. Maintain a good spinal posture at all times – remember to be aware of your posture type – pear (lordotic) or banana (sway). Watch our ‘Posture Correction in Standing‘ video (14 minutes) -see video below:
3. Invest in an ergonomic office chair – these are the ones we use in the clinic:
4. Safeguard your back while lifting – keep your back straight and bend your knees.
5. Dissipate stress factors in every day activities and avoid repetitive tasks.
6. Rest your back after prolonged bending – lie down on your back with your knees bent.
7. Protect your discs immediately after waking – for the first 2 hours of the day your discs are most hydrated so avoid bending or lifting.
8. Stretch your hamstrings – having tight hamstrings puts additional strain on your back.
9. Maintain a healthy weight – carrying extra weight increases the stress on your low back.
10. Sleep in a position with a straight back – avoid sleeping on your front, on your side with one leg up and one leg down or flat on your back with your low back arched. Side lying with your legs bent and knees and feet together is the best position for your spine (maybe with a pillow between your knees).
We hope you find this information useful to protect your back and we look forward to seeing you in your Pilates class this week.