The PILATES theme of the week is BREATHING:
No apology for doing this again as it is fundamental to all Pilates exercises.
- In Pilates we inhale through the nose and exhale through pursed lips to emphasise the activation of the core muscles
- When we inhale deeply into the ribs our heart is pressed against our sternum which releases oxytocin.
- When we exhale while activating the core, our abdominal muscles squeeze the contents of our abdomen including our gut which releases serotonin, endorphins and dopamine.
- By emphasising the in-breath during exercises like the cobra and the dumb water we focus on opening the chest, collar bones and shoulders.
- By emphasising the out-breath during exercises like the curl up, the hundred and the series of 5 we focus on activating the abdominal muscles to bring the ribs towards the pelvis as we lift our head and shoulders.
- As we perform Pilates exercises we also release endorphins and dopamine while reducing the production of adrenaline and cortisol. So the combination of endorphins, dopamine, oxytocin and serotonin helps to improve our feeling of wellbeing and makes us feel good.
So …. remember to breathe correctly during your Pilates this week. Why not take a few minutes every day to take some deep breaths to help your technique while improving your physical and mental health.
Here is a reminder about the BREATHING APP. Set it to run for a minute at 4 seconds in and 6 seconds out.
Have a great week and remember to take a few deep breaths every day!