The PILATES theme of the week is CONCENTRATION (another of the 8 principles of Pilates):
The 8 PRINCIPLES OF PILATES:
- Flowing movements
Pilates requires concentration which has the following benefits:
1. PROCESSING SKILLS:
Following instructions, cues and corrections from the instructor requires utmost concentration and processing skills. These skills far out way the skills required to complete a crossword or sudoku puzzle and therefore will keep your mind sharp as you get older.
2. BODY AWARENESS SKILLS:
Bringing your attention inside your body has a meditative effect on your brain.
Asking yourself questions improves your body awareness, postural awareness and gives you an understanding of your habitual movement patterns:
- How am I positioned on the mat or reformer?
- Which parts of my body are taking more or less weight?
- Can I feel my deep core muscles and pelvic floor engaged?
- Is my spine in an optimal position and length?
- Which parts of my body feel weak, stiff, or tight?
- How can I perform this exercise more easily?
These skills will enhance your Pilates experience and help to focus your awareness in the present moment.
We look forward to seeing you in your Pilates classes this week.